Sexual Dysfunction: An Overview
Sexual Dysfunction is a broad term that covers an extensive range of problems that prevent men from engaging in sexual activity and taking pleasure from it. Sexual dysfunction involves different conditions such as erectile dysfunction, also known as the inability to produce a firm erection and premature or delayed ejaculation in which you happen to reach the climax at a rapid or slower pace respectively, and ejaculate earlier or later than normal. It can be commonly found in men of any age with the chances faring higher for gentlemen over the age of 50.
Moreover, sexual dysfunction is often heavily stigmatized as men often link their self-worth directly to their sexual performance. Therefore, men often feel hesitant to speak about such a sensitive topic and they frequently feel reluctant to seek help. There are various treatments available for sexual dysfunction, all of which are dependent on the nature of the cause.
What Are The Causes?
It is important to note the causes behind each condition in order to understand how sexual dysfunctions can be prevented. There are many different causes of sexual dysfunction and they have been broadly classified into medical and psychological areas. The medical causes that lead to sexual dysfunction are:
- If you are a diabetic patient, then your body is liable for sexual dysfunction as well as high usage of alcohol and drugs are leading causes too.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure or high cholesterol then you are likely to suffer from sexual dysfunction.
- Lack of exercise and obesity also leads to sexual dysfunction.
- Serotonin, also known as a substance that is produced by the nerves in the body, is often linked to premature ejaculation. High or low amounts of serotonin can lead to delayed or premature ejaculation respectively.
The psychological causes include aspects such as stress, anxiety, depression, being too concerned about your sexual performance and feeling guilty if it is not up to par, or body image issues. Relationship problems can also play a part in causing sexual dysfunction.
How Can You Spot The Symptoms?
There are different signs that indicate that you might need to seek out a consultant andrologist to diagnose your problem. Some men might experience premature or delayed ejaculation which is immediately a direct sign of sexual dysfunction. In addition to this, if you are unable to maintain or even form a full erection and have difficulty in becoming aroused then you are most likely suffering from sexual dysfunctions.
Improving different aspects of your health is one of the most important preventive measures you can take in order to lower your chances of being diagnosed with certain diseases that can potentially lead to sexual dysfunction.
- Maintain a regular exercise routine and attempt to do it daily whilst making sure to consume a well-balanced diet at every meal and maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid smoking and restrict your alcohol intake to a minimum amount as a prevention method.
- Treating different emotional and mental health problems in a timely and effective manner can also help reduce your chances of experiencing sexual dysfunction.
There are several treatments available that can help you cope with or prevent sexual dysfunction altogether.
- Surgical procedures include penile implants that are known for successfully satiating the patient’s needs and treating their sexual problems in an efficient manner.
- Medicinal treatments aid the penis in functioning normally as they provide normal blood flow to the penis which helps when forming an erection.
- Creams and numerous sprays are available that have a numbing effect once they are applied to the head of the penis for about 20-30 minutes before intercourse takes place. As a result, the creams and sprays help you last longer during sex and avoid premature ejaculation.
- Testosterone therapy is another way to treat sexual dysfunctions and it is mainly used when the most prominent cause is low testosterone level that leads to erectile dysfunction.
Dr. Shawket Alkhayal is an expert andrologist who can help you out with a variety of medical conditions relating to male sexual health. Book a consultation to manage your sexual dysfunction today.